During the Holocaust, this Catholic social worker saved 2,500 Jewish children from certain death by convincing their parents, who were trapped in the Warsaw ghetto, to let her smuggle their kids to gentile families on the outside. Continue reading
Kazimierz Smolen, a 91-year-old Auschwitz survivor who became director of the memorial site after World War II, died yesterday on the 67th anniversary of its liberation. Continue reading
The capture and prosecution of Nazi war criminal John Demjanjuk in the U.S.earlier this yearÂ has prompted the Polish government to launch another hunt for any remaining staff members from Auschwitz who could still be at large. Some 500 Auschwitz survivors will be interviewed to aid in the search. Continue reading
The camp gate is still there, with its cruelly ironic inscription, Arbeit macht frei â€” work makes you free.
And so is much of the rest of World War IIâ€™s deadliest Nazi death camp: the barbed wire, the crematoria, the vats of discarded shoes and spectacles, the walls of victimsâ€™ photographs. Continue reading
This weekend marks the 70th anniversary of a World War II milestone few people have heard before. It’s the story of a Polish army captain named Witold Pilecki.
In September 1940, Pilecki didn’t know exactly what was going on in Auschwitz, but he knew someone had to find out. He would spend two and a half years in the prison camp, smuggling out word of the methods of execution and interrogation. He would eventually escape and author the first intelligence report on the camp. Continue reading
Poland has askedÂ SwedenÂ to question three suspects about the theft of the “Arbeit macht frei” sign at theÂ NaziÂ death camp atÂ Auschwitz,Â PolishÂ prosecutors said on Thursday. Continue reading
“Security guards detained two Canadians in their twenties shortly before noon on Saturday in possession of two spikes that held down the rails,” said Bartosz Bartyzel, a spokesman for the museum at the World War II camp. Continue reading
But despite his extraordinary role, Witold Pilecki was unheeded abroad and, more than six decades after his execution by Poland’s communist regime, he has been largely forgotten outside the country. Continue reading
Exactly 70 years after Nazi German troops packed them into train cars, a handful of Auschwitz survivors gathered Monday to commemorate the first ever rail convoy to the notorious camp. Continue reading
The accusations against Lars Goran Wahlstrom were made by Anders Hoegstrom, 34, who is in custody in Poland for his alleged role in the robbery. Continue reading